The Culture, Media and Sport Committee took evidence on women and sport on 12 November 2013.
This was the first evidence session held by the committee into women and sport, after it announced an inquiry in July to look into a number of issues that are currently raising concerns.
The session focussed on the main barriers that exist to women’s participation in sport from the perspectives of both organisations dedicated to encouraging the take up of sport among women and from individuals who are players and officials.
The committee took evidence from a range of experts:
- Tim Woodhouse, head of policy and external affairs, Women’s Sport and Fitness Foundation
- Rimla Akhtar, Muslim Women’s Sports Foundation
- Claire Wheeler, strategic lead for equity, Streetgames
- Karen Keohane, national programme director, Streetgames
- Lottie Birdsall-Strong
- Joanne Herbertson
- Christine Anne Wellington MBE